2014 has been a fantastic year for Hollywood; adventures have come to an end and new ones have only just begun, there is no doubt that 2015 is under a lot of pressure to beat the previous year. If you were unable to see many films last year, don’t worry because here are my top 5 2014 films that everyone must see.
- The Hobbit: The Battle of The Five Armies. If you are a lover of Middle Earth, this film is obviously a must see as it marks the end to Peter Jackson’s 14 year run in Tolkien’s World. This film does not let the franchise down in any way. The action is non stop, with the familiar humour from old and new characters and side stories help to make the film one big bag of emotions. If you’ve not entered Middle Earth yet, what are you waiting for? Adventure, drama and lovable characters await. When you start watching, you won’t want it to end. 8/10
- How To Train Your Dragon 2. It’s very rare for a sequel to be just as good, if not better, than the first film, but this is a diamond in the rough. This installment gives you everything, more dragons, an adventure away from Berk and some difficult times. Hiccup is all grown up and I have to say, I wish this World was real. How To Train Your Dragon is fun for the entire family, with charming humour, enjoyable characters and a beautiful soundtrack. I cannot wait for the third film, if it’s anything like the first two, we will have a rare hat trick from Hollywood. 9/10
- Guardians of The Galaxy. Another action packed, humorous film from Marvel. This film will not let down hardcore fans. It’s different from every other Marvel film and it does a very good job of being unique, which is difficult for a film of this type, as there’s so much competition. The Guardians don’t have to worry because this film is so different nothing can compare. There aren’t many space adventure films like this and none have a Groot. Need I say more? 9/10
- Dawn of The Planet of The Apes. Another sequel that does a phenomenal job of not disappointing fans. This film, along with the first, are simply amazing; they do an excellent job of reviving the franchise and I just want to see more. Andy Serkis is a genius and it’s simply amazing to see these apes come to life on the screen. The Planet of The Apes takes you on an incredible journey and it’s definitely something you have to see to appreciate. 10/10
- The Grand Budapest Hotel. A quirky film that is wonderfully made. Fantastic acting from Ralph Fiennes and Tony Revolori, the characters are charming and witty with huge personalities. This film is a definite must see; It grabs your attention from the start and doesn’t let go until the credits begin to roll. Grand Budapest doesn’t try to be anything it’s not, it’s different and proud to be. 10/10
Honorable mentions go to X-Men: Days of Future Past, Birdman, Interstellar and The Lego Movie. I recommend you see all these films and more; 2015 looks promising with the eagerly anticipated Star Wars The Force Awakens due in December, The Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man and many more. Get yourself to the cinema this year, because I very much doubt any of these films will disappoint.